Tuesday 14 June 2011

Raspberry Oatmeal Spinach Cups

I'm no culinary genius, but I am an adventurous cook and a fearless eater, and that gets me a lot of mileage in the kitchen.  This morning, while making steel-cut oatmeal, I had a good-crazy experiment.  I smooshed some raspberries into my oatmeal and served it on a plate of baby spinach leaves.  And it was good.

In fact, it was so tasty that I thought there must be some "real" recipe out there that incorporates these three ingredients.  You know, one that explains that the real secret is to drizzle 20-year old balsamic vinegar over the finished product, or roast the oatmeal and place in a bag with 1/4 teaspoon of an exotic Australian spice 24 hours before cooking.  Or use one of those creme brulee blow-torches.  Something top-chef-y.

So I looked on Google Recipe Search for a recipe with oatmeal, raspberry, and spinach...and got zero recipes.  (Well, actually I got 13 results, but none of them *actually* have all three ingredients.  Google Recipe is a big fat liar.)

Dang...this was so tasty that I thought I should share it:

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of steel-cut oats
  • 1/4 cup of raspberries
  • 2 oz of baby spinach leaves
Preparation:  (15 minutes)
Boil water.  Add raspberries and oats and reduce to simmer.  Stir the oatmeal and smoosh the berries occasionally for the next 10-12 minutes until the oatmeal is a reddish paste, while spreading out the spinach leaves on a plate.  When the oatmeal is ready, put little dollops of the red paste on each of the leaves, like little lettuce cups!
If someone with serious culinary skills wants to improve on my accidental discovery, I'd love to hear about it.  In the meantime, I'm thinking that maybe I should submit it to the three ingredient recipe challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment